How to Make Hash Butter or Kief Butter
This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of making hash butter or kief butter, providing step-by-step instructions and valuable tips to ensure a successful outcome. Whether you prefer a stronger, more potent infusion or are looking for a way to incorporate cannabis into your favorite sweet treats, this guide has got you covered.
Table of Contents
- What is Hash Butter and Kief Butter?
- Why Choose Hash Butter or Kief Butter?
- Make Hash Butter – Equipment, Instructions and Ingredients
- Bonus Tips and Considerations
- Using Hash Butter in Recipes
- Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Brownies
What is Hash Butter and Kief Butter?
Hash butter and kief butter are highly potent cannabis infusions that offer a more concentrated experience compared to traditional cannabis butter. They are often used in edible recipes, providing a flavorful and effective alternative to smoking or vaping cannabis. While both forms of infusion are derived from the cannabis plant, they differ in terms of taste, potency, and medicinal properties.
Hash butter is created by extracting resin-rich trichomes from the cannabis plant, compressing them into a solid form, and then infusing them into butter. Kief butter, on the other hand, is made by agitating marijuana over a screen or filter system to collect the fine crystals known as kief, which are then combined with butter.
Why Choose Hash Butter or Kief Butter?
Many individuals prefer using hash butter or kief butter over traditional cannabis butter for several reasons. Firstly, hash and kief offer a more potent experience, both physically and mentally. The concentrated levels of cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD, can provide a stronger high and more effective pain relief.
Secondly, hash butter and kief butter have a distinct flavor profile that sets them apart from regular cannabis butter. The nutty taste of kief and the unique flavor of hash can enhance the overall culinary experience when used in sweet edibles like cookies and brownies.
Lastly, using hash butter or kief butter allows for more precise dosing. The high concentration of cannabinoids in these infusions makes it easier to determine the desired potency, especially for individuals with high tolerance levels or specific medical needs.
Make Hash Butter – Equipment and Ingredients
Before diving into the process of making hash butter or kief butter, it’s essential to gather all the necessary equipment and ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Wooden or whisk spoon
- Heavy saucepan
- Paper or kitchen towels
- Heat-resistant container with a lid for storage
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (preferably with a high fat content and organic if possible)
- 4 cups of water
- Hash or kief (2-3 grams per stick for a mild hit, 3-5 grams per stick for a moderate hit, and 6 or more grams per stick for a very strong high)
Note: Ensure that your hash or kief is completely dry before using it in the infusion process. Excess moisture can affect the consistency of the butter.
Make Hash Butter – Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare the Water
Start by heating(Do NOT boil) 2 cups of water in a pot over medium heat.
This water will serve as the base for your infusion.
Step 2: Crumble the Hash or Kief
While the water is heating, crumble your hash or kief into tiny pieces. This will help it dissolve more effectively into the butter later on. Place a paper towel on your work surface to collect any loose particles.
Step 3: Melt the Butter
Once the water is hot but not boiling, add the two sticks of unsalted butter to the pot. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and avoid letting the mixture boil. Stir gently with a wooden or whisk spoon until the butter has fully dissolved into the water.
Step 4: Add the Hash or Kief
With the heat still on low, add the crumbled hash or kief to the butter-water mixture. Stir well to ensure even distribution. Continue simmering the mixture for approximately 30 minutes on low heat. The longer you simmer, the stronger your butter will become. Use a timer to keep track of the cooking time, and feel free to adjust it based on your desired potency.
Step 5: Cool and Separate
After the specified simmering time, remove the pot from the heat. Pour the hash butter into a heat-resistant container, such as a Tupperware, and cover it with a lid. Place the container in the refrigerator and allow the butter to cool and solidify for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
Step 6: Remove Excess Water
Once the butter has solidified, you’ll notice that the water has separated from the butter. Carefully pour off the water and use a kitchen towel to hold the hash butter in place. Gently pat the butter dry to remove any excess moisture.
Step 7: Storage
Your hash butter is now ready for use and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two months. Ensure it is kept in a heat-resistant container with a tight-fitting lid to maintain freshness and potency.
Bonus Tips and Considerations
- It is crucial to use completely dry hash or kief to prevent the butter from becoming soupy and affecting the consistency of your recipes.
- Consider adding lecithin granules to your hash or kief butter during the heating process. Lecithin can aid in the absorption process and potentially enhance the potency of the infusion.
- Experiment with different strains of hash or kief to explore various flavors and effects in your edibles.
- Remember that edibles take longer to kick in compared to smoking or vaping cannabis. Start with a small amount and wait at least 30-60 minutes before consuming more to gauge the effects.
- Always label your hash or kief butter clearly and store it in a safe place to prevent accidental ingestion by children or pets.
Using Hash Butter in Recipes
Now that you have successfully made your butter, it’s time to explore the culinary possibilities it offers. Incorporating hash butter into recipes is a fantastic way to enjoy the benefits of cannabis without smoking or vaping. Below, you’ll find a simple and delicious recipe that utilizes hash butter to create delectable Cannabis-infused Chocolate Brownies.
Cannabis-Infused Hash Brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hash butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a baking pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix well until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted hash butter, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring continuously until the batter is well combined. If desired, fold in the chopped nuts at this stage.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, but not wet batter.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the brownies to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut into squares or rectangles.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.
Enjoy your cannabis-infused chocolate brownies responsibly! Remember that the effects of edibles take time to kick in, so be patient and avoid consuming too much too quickly. Happy baking!
Making hash butter or kief butter is a rewarding process that allows you to create highly potent and flavorful infusions for your favorite sweet treats. By following these step-by-step instructions and considering the tips provided, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the benefits of these concentrated cannabis infusions. Remember to dose responsibly and enjoy your edibles in a safe and controlled manner. Happy cooking!